From: Obveeus <>
Subject: Re: YOUR NAME (no spoilers)
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2017 10:21:33 -0500
On 12/1/2017 10:12 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 12/1/2017 9:57 AM, Obveeus wrote:
>> On 12/1/2017 9:53 AM, moviePig wrote:
>>> A high-school boy and girl, miles apart, find they've switched
>>> bodies. The hand-drawn fantasy drama YOUR NAME is more than rewarding
>>> to look at, as both the complexity and scope of its story are a year
>>> or two above the adolescent demo typical of anime.  Fans of this
>>> stuff may well be (and apparently are) thrilled.  For me, though, a
>>> couple more years of age-level are needed for an entry in this genre
>>> be an unqualified must-see.  Admittedly, those twain may never meet.
>>> Mostly recommended.
>> What I wrote last month:
>> YOUR NAME.:  A 2016 animated feature from Japan.  The story starts off
>> looking like it will follow one of those standard film tropes/themes
>> that we have seen a dozen or more times before.  It does take a bit of
>> a sci-fi (and I use that term loosely) twist and adds some depth as it
>> goes.  The animation here is a bit generic feeling, but it is
>> certainly well done.  The story feels abridged at times, as though
>> they wanted to keep the film under 2 hours and had to cut some
>> transitional bits for time.  Still, this is a good film and certainly
>> worth watching, especially for those looking for family friendly
>> fare.  The IMDB score stands at 8.5 and this film earned over
>> $350million at the box office even though it was limited to only
>> $5million domestically.  I have to attribute the US non-interest as a
>> product of the film choosing not to use a bunch of famous American
>> actors as voice cast.  Well, that and the tiny FUNimation studio backing.
> Yeah, I remember reading that now -- might've put me onto the movie.  It
> is interesting to estimate the box-office had they gone with name-voices
> (though I don't know what well-knowns could credibly do high-school).

Given how many 25-30 year olds are doing high school 'credibly' in live
action TV/film, I'd imagine they wouldn't have too many problems finding

> Meanwhile, I'm guessing I liked the visuals more than you did, with its
> wonderful little throwaways and minimalisms.

There were times when I really liked the animation, times when I
*really* missed the Hayeo Miyazaki style drawing rather than comic book
line art, and times when I was just disappointed at how much the
animation looked like generic TV anime from Japan.

>  Re 'family fare', I was
> surprised to see such frank boob-groping in a 'PG' (but noted the
> obverse handled so deferentially that I didn't get what was going on).

Boob-groping is probably ok in a PG film when done as comedy...and when
it is a solo act...and when it is not real flesh.