From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Rotten Tomatoes Under Fire For "Justice League" Review
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2017 09:00:37 -0500
On 12/6/2017 12:00 AM, Ed Stasiak wrote:
>> Obveeus
>>> Ed Stasiak

>>> The above implies the studios have some kinda right to control what
>>> movie critics say about their flicks and that IS a 1st Amendment issue.
>>
>> No, it is not a First Amendment issue.
>
> Then please explain the use of the word “empowered”?

The use of the word 'empowered' seems to be a claim that Warner
Brother's partisal ownership of RottenTomatoes allows them to control
the aggregate review process for their films.  it has absolutely nothing
to do with the government breaking down doors of reviewers, arresting
them, and hauling them off to reeducation camps.

You have demonstrated a longstanding inability to understand what the
First Amendment is all about.  At issue in the first Amendment is the
GOVERNMENT control of speech, not any private citizen's or company's
control of speech.  This has been repeatedly explained to you.  Why do
you refuse to accept the truth?

> Because I read that as the studios/networks planning on using copyright laws
> to try and control what journalists can say about their movies/tv shows and
> once it goes to a government court room, it IS a 1st Amendment issue and
> the studios/networks can go piss up a rope.

So, you read it wrong and made up a scenario to fit your wet dream.  The
simple fact is, the studio is under no obligation to give reporters
advanced access to their films for pre-release review.  Additionally,
Rottentomatoes is under no obligation to re-print reviews or to include
reviews from any particular outlet if they do not want to.

>> they are simply not giving reviewers pre-release access to their property.
>
> Which I mentioned up-thread and which doesn’t translate as “empowered”.
>
> The studios can deny critics previews of their movies or they can try to get
> critics to sign some kinda “controlled disclosure” agreement but that’s their
> own options, otherwise critics can say whatever they please about a movie.

Exactly.