> Prev
From: Mark Leeper <mleeper@optonline.net>
Subject: Review: The Shape of Water (2017)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2017 09:56:13 -0800 (PST)
From: Mark Leeper <mleeper@optonline.net>
THE SHAPE OF WATER
               (a film review by Mark R. Leeper)

Spoiler Warning: This review gives away a big piece of the plot of
the film.

    CAPSULE: A military project is examining a captive
    amphibian-man.  A cleaning woman befriends the amphibian-
    man and decides to try to set him free.  Michael Shannon's
    performance is a major high spot.  The plot is very, very
    similar to that of a once well-known play, Paul Zindel's
    "Let Me Hear You Whisper."  Rating: high +1 (-4 to +4)
    or 6/10

By now Mexican director/writer/producer Guillermo del Toro has been
around making horror movies such as PAN'S LABYRINTH (2006) and also
making comic book adaptations.  His comic book films are not my cup
of tea, but at least they were physically beautiful films.  I
consider his horror films are generally excellent.  His premier
film was CRONOS, one of the rare horror films that played the art
house circuit.  His most recent film, THE SHAPE OF WATER, does not
fall into either of the previous categories.  It is more a hard-
edged fairy tale. I would say the film has one major problem...

In 1969 and again in 1990 PBS adapted to television Paul Zindel's
play "Let me Hear You Whisper."  In this story a downtrodden
cleaning woman in a secret government laboratory finds a dolphin in
a tank and befriends it.  It has been trained to sing the words to
"Let Me Call You Sweetheart."  From that song Zindel takes the
title of the play.  The cleaning woman discovers to her horror the
dolphin is really being trained to fight wars undersea and be blown
up with the munitions he carries.  She determines to steal the
dolphin in a laundry cart and set it free.  That is much like del
Toro's story but Zindel's name does not appear in the credits of
the new film.

I will not describe here the plot of THE SHAPE OF WATER, but I will
let people who have seen the film draw their own conclusions.  Del
Toro says his inspiration for this film was CREATURE FROM THE BLACK
LAGOON.  Certainly the amphibian man in this film could be based on
the Creature.  But I know of no statement from the filmmakers that
mentions this film and Zindel's play in the same breath.  I did not
see Zindel's name anywhere in the credits.  I will be interested to
see how this problem plays out.

Unfortunately, what is original about this film is a mixed bag.
There are some remarkable visions as we might expect from the
director of PAN'S LABYRINTH.  But even the images outstay their
123-minute welcome in what seems like a longer production than was
needed.  The score by Alexandre Desplat has not much melody, but
manages a dreamlike quality.

One of the (several) features of the script is an incident of
sexual abuse and harassment.  I believe there is no way del Toro
could have known how timely this theme would be when the film was
released, but it works well for the film.  The film is set in 1962
and the government doing the best it can fight--clean or dirty--
mostly dirty--to oppose the Soviets who are happy to fight just as
dirty.

Sally Hawkins plays Elisa Esposito, the cleaning woman who is
separated from most other people by being a mute.  Michael Shannon
plays well in a part much like his previous work in "Boardwalk
Empire."  He makes an all-purpose villain and exudes an air of
menace.  Elisa's best friend is Octavia Spencer, who shone in
HIDDEN FIGURES and this season is in both this film and in GIFTED.

If I had to choose the two most creative horror directors I would
choose Kiyoshi Kurosawa and Guillermo del Toro.  I am sorry to see
del Toro resorting to uncredited near-remakes of other people's
stories.  Still the film is engrossing and visual enough that I
rate THE SHAPE OF WATER a high +1 on the -4 to +4 scale or 6/10.

Film Credits:
<http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5580390/combined>

What others are saying:
<https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_shape_of_water_2017>