From: Irish Ranger <irishranger317@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: ATOMIC BLONDE (no spoilers)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 10:23:02 -0800 (PST)
From: Irish Ranger <irishranger317@gmail.com>
On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 12:36:58 PM UTC-5, moviePig wrote:
> ATOMIC BLONDE is based on a graphic novel, 'The Coldest City' -- to me a
> much more appealing title.  I haven't read that book, but I suspect its
> rename means to promote the larger-than-fiction, world-altering presence
> of star and co-producer Charlize Theron.  As a male possessed of two
> eyes, I do like Ms. Theron, even enough to bear her slightly smug
> winsomeness.  But this action-packed spy thriller never deviates from
> its mission of showcasing her screenly virtues (...including a bunch of
> abjectly self-conscious peek-a-boob shots).  To be sure, there's a
> stellar supporting cast, as well as tracking-shots to defy the senses --
> but they never feel like more than accessories.  For production value,
> and for the (as I said) likeable Charlize, AB is modestly recommended.

In plain words Mr. Pig, it ain't awful.  The fight scenes were a bit repetitious.
I mean, how many ways can a 120 pound woman beat up and kill trained assassians
twice her size?  Or get punched in the face without breaking a bone or losing a
tooth?  Not to mention that the main characters seemed to be in a contest to
smoke the most cigarettes.  AB is sort of modestly recommended if you don't
have much else going on.

Irish Mike