From: Obveeus <>
Subject: Re: Will Smith's "Bright" a disaster in the making
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2017 07:57:14 -0500
On 12/23/2017 2:28 AM, RichA wrote:
> On Friday, 22 December 2017 22:30:17 UTC-5, Obveeus  wrote:
>>> Not there when I looked.
>> Odd since it was there a day before your post when I looked.
>> As for the film, it is much better than the rottentomato reviews would
>> have you believe.  Perhaps the film side of the reviewer world is still
>> smarting from the idea that evil Netflix will convince people to watch
>> films in the comfort of their own home instead of the theater?  BRIGHT
>> is not the crime procedural I feared it might be.  It is a bit of
>> sci-fi, but it is just as much alt.history as sci-fi.  Mostly, though,
>> it is a buddy cop flick in the vein of 40 HOURS or BEVERLY HILLS COP.  I
>> know some reviewers don't like the idea of sci-fi having any nudity or
>> swear words, but really there isn't even much of that...and certainly
>> not so much that it should have been a problem for sci-fi viewers.
>> Maybe they were worried about their 8 year old kid's fragile ears and
>> eyes?  Whatever the case, the film is entertaining and manages a bit of
>> funny and a bit of social preaching.  Some of the transitions are a bit
>> rough and the fight sequences are definitely a bit too filled with quick
>> cuts and wire work and such, but the plot is solid enough and does its
>> job creating characters and a world that is interesting and in focus
>> enough to warrant a sequel.
> It seems like "Alien Nation" again.

It did have some ALIEN NATION feel to it and that was a good thing.  I
actually would have preferred even more of an ALIEN NATION vibe than it
had since that was what I was hoping for.

Side note:  At least the reviewers haven't scared people away from the
film.  IMDB shows that 11,000+ people watched and rated it
yesterday...and the ratings are all skewed towards the top half of the
spectrum without looking like a bunch of relatives just chimed in with
obligatory 10s.