> Prev
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Subject: DOWNSIZING (no spoilers)
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2017 18:57:32 -0500
DOWNSIZING:  The 2017 film about people shrinking themselves in order to
create a smaller footprint.  Warning to those thinking about going:
this is not sci-fi, so don't go thinking that this is FANTASTIC VOYAGE.
Warning to those thinking about going:  this is not an action and not
particularly a comedy, so don't go expecting HONEY I SHRUNK THE KIDS.
Mostly, this is a slice of life sort of tale for a guy in a bit of a
midlife crisis.  There is some social and environmental commentary here,
but not so much that it does more than raise a few questions for people
to think about.  This isn't a great film, though it isn't bad, either.
it is more intellectual than I was expecting...and all the better for it
(even if that does limit its broader appeal).  The most striking thing I
came away with after seeing it was the opinion that Hong Chau pretty
much stole the film.  Without her raising the bar for the funny and for
the touching and for the poignant, this film wouldn't have hit the
target at all.