From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Full headers:
From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies,rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2018 10:06:08 +1300
On 2017-12-31 16:54:39 +0000, BTR1701 said:
> Your Name<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>>
>> I can't find it now, but someone recently complained about the new Star
>> Wars movie using bombers in space where there is "no gravity" (despite
>> bombers also being in 'The Empire Strikes back').
>>
>> According to 'The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary' book:
>>
>> "Resistance Bombers
>> Bombs don't technically "drop" in microgravity,
>> but are impelled from their racks by sequenced
>> electromagnetic plates in the clip. The bombs
>> are then drawn magnetically to their unfortunate
>> targets."
>
> As opposed to being drawn magnetically to the sides of their own ship?

It's not difficult to have the bombs turn on the magnetic attraction
*after* they've have been launched and far enough away from the
Rebel... err, "Resistance" bombers. Or turn on even later when they
detect a target to attach to.

> (And this bombs clearly dropped, not pulled magnetically. You can tell by
> the way they fell.

There's no way to tell the difference from a movie clip, unless the
movie maker decides to have pulsating lights to indicate the magnets
along the track turning on and off.

> There was no sequencing about it, either. She pushed the
> button and they all dropped at once.)

The bombadier no doubt has the ability to choose how many to drop
depending on the target and the mission.

Geez, so much nit-picking over a pointlessly minor topic. It would be
better to complain to Disney about the fact that the new movies are
just lazy-ass, talentless rip-offs of George Lucas' originals.   :-(