From: Your Name <>
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Full headers:
From: Your Name <>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films, rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2018 10:14:42 +1300
On 2017-12-31 17:46:42 +0000, RichA said:

> On Sunday, 31 December 2017 00:09:32 UTC-5, Your Name  wrote:
>>> Still B.S.  You'd need incredible magnetic power to do that, enough to>
>> No you don't.
>> The "impelling" is the same technique as maglev trains use, and the
>> bombs are smaller. The intial ejection gives them enough momentum to
>> (hopefully) get close enough to the target to then be magnetically
>> attract towards the target object, and then explode.
> Then why would they need magnetism at all?  Once you set something in
> motion, in a particular direct in space, it keeps going that way, there
> is basically zero drag, unless they are near a body like a planet or
> star.  If you say the magnetism was strong enough to allow the bombs to
> make course-corrections then my old argument stands.

Once the bombs hit a target they would mostly just bounce off and do
less damage. Better to have them stick to the hull when they explode,
especially in space combat where there is no atmosphere to allow
concussion waves to more easily reach the separated target.

There is no "course correction", other than the minor magentic
attraction pulling the bomb slightly. They're bombs, not some sort of
guided torpedoes or missles.

There's no great mystery or magic to it. Earth based military have been
doing basically the same thing for decades with some of their explosive
devices. They even (supposedly) trained dolphins to swim to an enemy
vessel and had the bombs magnetically attach.