From: BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid>
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
From: BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 18:54:54 -0600
Your Name<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

> On 2017-12-31 16:54:39 +0000, BTR1701 said:

>> Your Name<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I can't find it now, but someone recently complained about the new Star
>>> Wars movie using bombers in space where there is "no gravity" (despite
>>> bombers also being in 'The Empire Strikes back').
>>>
>>> According to 'The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary' book:
>>>
>>> "Resistance Bombers
>>> Bombs don't technically "drop" in microgravity,
>>> but are impelled from their racks by sequenced
>>> electromagnetic plates in the clip. The bombs
>>> are then drawn magnetically to their unfortunate
>>> targets."
>>
>> As opposed to being drawn magnetically to the sides of their own ship?
>
> It's not difficult to have the bombs turn on the magnetic attraction
> *after* they've have been launched and far enough away from the
> Rebel... err, "Resistance" bombers. Or turn on even later when they
> detect a target to attach to.
>
>> (And this bombs clearly dropped, not pulled magnetically. You can tell by
>> the way they fell.
>
> There's no way to tell the difference from a movie clip, unless the
> movie maker decides to have pulsating lights to indicate the magnets
> along the track turning on and off.
>
>> There was no sequencing about it, either. She pushed the
>> button and they all dropped at once.)
>
> The bombadier no doubt has the ability to choose how many to drop
> depending on the target and the mission.

> Geez, so much nit-picking over a pointlessly minor topic.

You brought it up. I'm just responding to the issue you raised.

But I have a bigger problem with the idea that a ship the size of the
Supremacy can be shorn in two and scuttled by a (relatively) tiny cruiser
hitting it at lightspeed.

If that's a thing, why has the tactic never been used before? The Rebellion
could have easily taken out Vader's flagship, the Executor, or even the
Death Star itself just by sending up unmanned drone ships and hitting the
hyperspace buttons.