From: luisbunuel <>
Subject: Re: My Top Ten Films of 2017
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 12:23:08 -0800 (PST)
On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 12:08:05 PM UTC-5, Mark Leeper wrote:
> My Top Ten Films of 2017
>                (film comments by Mark R. Leeper)
> Once again it is time to pick out what I consider the best of the
> best films I saw this year and I have to bemoan the fact that I am
> just not in a position to see all the films that deserve
> recommendations.  I should not call these the top ten films of
> 2017, but the top ten I have managed to see.  It also is not a good
> idea putting a bunch of these films together and rank ordering
> them.  Last year there were four or five good documentaries wholly
> or in part about police brutality, race relations, and riots.  This
> year there is at least that many.  It was a topic that was very
> much in the news in 2017.  If they were seen separately and months
> apart they would probably get high ratings.  But it is hard to see
> three in a week and not down-rate them for being so similar and not
> have that affect my opinion.
> Films are rated on a -4 to +4 scale.
> This film is based on a true story.  Molly Bloom wanted to be an
> Olympic skier and came very close to making it.  Then in an instant
> she had an accident, was washed out, and had to give up her Olympic
> dreams.  By chance she ended up inheriting the job of organizing the
> most exclusive weekly poker game in the world.  This task brought
> her some small fame and some major fortune in (honest) tips.
> MOLLY'S GAME is written and directed by Aaron Sorkin who wrote THE
> did much of the writing for "The West Wing".  I will be honest that
> sports films are not my thing, and poker films are not my thing
> either.  I started this film thinking it was not for me.  It took
> five minutes before I became fascinated by this film and by Molly.
> Jessica Chastain is captivating as Molly Bloom and Idris Elba is
> her lawyer.  When the two talk they are really convincing as being
> very, very smart.  Much of the film revolves around the fact that
> Molly has very high scruples.  The FBI did not believe that, but I
> do.  This film was a lot of enjoyment and it may well be the most
> fun I will have at the movies this year.  This is a major role for
> Chastain and I suspect that from now on she will be thought of as a
> glamorous actress.  Rating: +3
> Set in 1971, the owner of the Washington Post is faced with a
> Constitutional issue of whether to publish the contents of the
> Pentagon papers or to allow the government to gag her newspaper.
> Meanwhile as the first woman ever to own a newspaper she gets
> little respect from her own staff.  Steven Spielberg directs a good
> cast led by Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks.  Hanks's character,
> Streep's editor-in-chief, is pushing for the newspaper to exercise
> the First Amendment right of the newspaper.  But that way leads to
> a lot of trouble.  Rating: +3
> This biography of Jane Goodall shows us how by studying chimpanzees
> she has changed our definition of what is and is not human.  We
> see her in-depth (and continuing) study of chimpanzee behavior.  The
> [...]

The Post is the only one I'm familiar with on this list, though I'm eager to see Molly's Game and
now the story board artist film because I never heard of it before. I'd also like to see the Agnes
Varda film, but that's not on your list.

The Post surprised me. It goes over the ground of a very old situation that is quite similar to what
happens in All the President's Men...and the Redford/Pakula film does it so much better. President's
Men was recently on TV so it's kind of fresh in my mind. An important difference between the two
films that gives President's Men a significant edge is that the '70s film gets into the details of
the "crimes" the reporters are trying to uncover. It isn't all just boiler plate and McGuffin.

In The Post, by contrast, the enormity of the Pentagon Papers' revelations is almost all McGuffin.
They are the ticking time bomb that a bad president wants to stop at any cost. Their substance could
consist of almost anything. The important thing is that ink-stained wretches fueled by nothing but
coffee and integrity must decide whether they're willing to go to the mat for the First Amendment,
nay, for the very survival of the Republic itself.

The film is so self serving to the characters and the institution of this particular newspaper that
half way though I coudn't help but suspect that Bezos personally commissioned The Post as a
promotional film for his new baby..

(But it does have a pretty cool coda.)