Subject: Re: 12 STRONG: The Left is Upset (Again)
Full headers:
From: Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2018 19:03:46 -0500
On 2018-01-28 3:26 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> This guy has some serious issues to work through. His obvious issues
> with the military aside, he can't even stand that Hemsworth is
> good-looking. "Greviously handsome"? WTF?
>
> Oh, and contrary to the writer's claim, Hemsworth's Marines did a lot
> more than decimate the Taliban forces. They annihilated them.
>

> -----------------
> https://theintercept.com/2018/01/27/12-strong-war-movies-masculinity
>
> Peter Maass
> January 27 2018
>
> The Hollywood Reporter published a surprising story earlier this month
> about film studios turning away from movies about sex. A biopic about
> Hugh Hefner is stalled, gone for the moment is a James Franco film about
> a 15-year-old Russian prostitute, and a remake of A STAR IS BORN is
> being re-thought, too.
>
> "As Hollywood begins to navigate the #MeToo landscape," Tatiana Siegel
> reported, "one of the first casualties appears to be big-screen erotica.
> In the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal, studios are steering clear
> of sex." Alyssa Rosenberg, writing in the Washington Post, hopes that
> Hollywood's embarrassed executives are navigating "the end of a very
> narrow way of thinking about what's alluring." Instead of movies that
> objectify women, she suggests more films that portray sex and sexuality
> in intelligent ways.
>
> This reckoning is long overdue. And it can be extended to another genre
> that has distorted how men behave: war movies. Hollywood has shown
> itself capable of making excellent war movies (think THREE KINGS, PATHS
> OF GLORY, and THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES), but most are problematic.
> Some of the biggest war movies of the post-9/11 era don't just show
> violence in ways that are often gratuitous and occasionally racist. They
> model a cliched form of masculinity that veers from simplistic to
> monstrous.
>
> For instance, you can see Rambo and John Wayne return to life in the
> latest war blockbuster, 12 STRONG, which was produced by Jerry
> Bruckheimer, who also brought us BLACK HAWK DOWN. 12 STRONG is an
> extravaganza about a Special Forces team that fought the Taliban in
> Afghanistan in the weeks and months after 9/11. During the movie's
> pivotal scene, the leader of the Green Berets, played by Chris Hemsworth
> (the grievously handsome star of the THOR franchise), decimates a hive
> of Taliban fighters with his rifle ablaze as he gallops ahead on his
> fearless horse (yes, he's riding a horse). In the same way that
> Hemsworth's assault weapon goes rat-tat-tat and the bad guys fall like
> bulleted dominoes, the scene itself checks off one born-in-Hollywood
> cliché after another: of the rugged gunslinger, the warrior in camo,
> good versus evil, the modern vanquishing the profane, a man at his
> fullest.
>
> Whenever I write about the real-world impact of war movies-- and I've
> [...]
Maybe he needs to make a war movie himself. I'm picturing something
starring the footy-pajama guy that was mocked so widely by conservatives
in the Obama presidency. Maybe call it Pajama Boy Goes to War?

Of course Pajama Boy couldn't *really* go to war. That would be mean and
masculine. So Pajama Boy's war is going to have to be a series of
marches *against* war, carefully strategized over hot chocolate in his
parents' basement.

--
Rhino