From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Subject: Re: 12 STRONG: The Left is Upset (Again)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 09:20:46 -0500
On 1/28/2018 6:16 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <pwsbC.537981$iX.302982@fx39.iad>,
>   moviePig<pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
>> On 1/28/2018 3:26 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>>> This guy has some serious issues to work through. His obvious issues
>>> with the military aside, he can't even stand that Hemsworth is
>>> good-looking. "Greviously handsome"? WTF?
>>>
>>> Oh, and contrary to the writer's claim, Hemsworth's Marines did a lot
>>> more than decimate the Taliban forces. They annihilated them.
>>>

>>> -----------------
>>> https://theintercept.com/2018/01/27/12-strong-war-movies-masculinity
>>>
>>> Peter Maass
>>> January 27 2018
>>>
>>> The Hollywood Reporter published a surprising story earlier this month
>>> about film studios turning away from movies about sex. A biopic about
>>> Hugh Hefner is stalled, gone for the moment is a James Franco film about
>>> a 15-year-old Russian prostitute, and a remake of A STAR IS BORN is
>>> being re-thought, too.
>>>
>>> "As Hollywood begins to navigate the #MeToo landscape," Tatiana Siegel
>>> reported, "one of the first casualties appears to be big-screen erotica.
>>> In the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal, studios are steering clear
>>> of sex." Alyssa Rosenberg, writing in the Washington Post, hopes that
>>> Hollywood's embarrassed executives are navigating "the end of a very
>>> narrow way of thinking about what's alluring." Instead of movies that
>>> objectify women, she suggests more films that portray sex and sexuality
>>> in intelligent ways.
>>>
>>> This reckoning is long overdue. And it can be extended to another genre
>>> that has distorted how men behave: war movies. Hollywood has shown
>>> itself capable of making excellent war movies (think THREE KINGS, PATHS
>>> OF GLORY, and THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES), but most are problematic.
>>> Some of the biggest war movies of the post-9/11 era don't just show
>>> violence in ways that are often gratuitous and occasionally racist. They
>>> model a cliched form of masculinity that veers from simplistic to
>>> monstrous.
>>>
>>> For instance, you can see Rambo and John Wayne return to life in the
>>> latest war blockbuster, 12 STRONG, which was produced by Jerry
>>> Bruckheimer, who also brought us BLACK HAWK DOWN. 12 STRONG is an
>>> extravaganza about a Special Forces team that fought the Taliban in
>>> Afghanistan in the weeks and months after 9/11. During the movie's
>>> pivotal scene, the leader of the Green Berets, played by Chris Hemsworth
>>> (the grievously handsome star of the THOR franchise), decimates a hive
>>> of Taliban fighters with his rifle ablaze as he gallops ahead on his
>>> fearless horse (yes, he's riding a horse). In the same way that
>>> Hemsworth's assault weapon goes rat-tat-tat and the bad guys fall like
>>> bulleted dominoes, the scene itself checks off one born-in-Hollywood
>>> cliché after another: of the rugged gunslinger, the warrior in camo,
>>> good versus evil, the modern vanquishing the profane, a man at his
>>> fullest.

> [...]

Then let's take two:

    "Instead of movies that objectify women, [I suggest] more films that
portray sex and sexuality in intelligent ways."

    "[Most war-movies] model a cliched form of masculinity that veers
from simplistic to monstrous."

If each of those points is absurd, what's your alternative view?

--

   YOUR taste at work...