From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Subject: Re: THE SQUARE (Sweden) 2017
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2018 13:54:54 -0500
On 2/3/2018 8:31 AM, SLGreg wrote:
> My first venture into the foreign nominees for best picture didn't
> disappoint.  Ruben Ostlund (FORCE MAJEURE) tackles the world of high
> art, class distinctions, and man's increasing isolation and lack of
> humanity.
>
> Christian (Claes Bang), is the curator of a modern art museum in
> Stockholm.  Pretentious and smug, he bullshits his way through life,
> basically getting what he wants on charm alone. The plot (somewhat)
> centers around a controversial You Tube video that gets mistakenly
> released, putting Christian's future in jeopardy.
>
> At 2.5 hours long, it's a marathon of odd sub plots and Scandinavian
> weirdness, including Elizabeth Moss as an American journalist, with a
> pet ape.
>
> Enjoy!

Though unplanned, I watched it two sittings, which probably helped.  (I
didn't know it was the FORCE MAJEURE guy -- that would've helped, too.)
Fwiw, the DVD has a 10-minute making-of on just the dining-room sequence
-- which nevertheless sheds some light on the whole movie, imo.

--

   YOUR taste at work...