From: SLGreg <SLGreg@madeitup.com>
Subject: Re: GOD'S OWN COUNTRY (no spoilers)
From: SLGreg <SLGreg@madeitup.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2018 05:08:15 -0800
On Sun, 4 Feb 2018 11:46:20 -0500, moviePig<pwallace@moviepig.com>
wrote:

>Two young men, tending sheep in a picturesque mountainous setting,
>discover their forbidden physical attraction for each other.  No, this
>time it's Scotland, and, truth be told, GOD'S OWN COUNTRY is very much
>its own -- and quite watchable -- film.  (Its arrestingly graphic
>sequences all have to do with care of animals.)  Still, although it
>doesn't feel like a "gay-normative" flick, I can't pinpoint what
>narrative function the sexual orientation serves -- Montagues and
>Capulets, maybe.  Regardless, GOC is well-executed, and recommended.

Kind of a "Brokeback Mountain" goes to mucky Yorkshire, minus any
women they destroyed. Hard to discuss without spoilers, but Josh
O'Connor as Johnny Saxby did a remarkable job growing and shaping his
troubled character from start to finish, with the dreamy, idealistic
Romanian farm laborer Alec Secareanu as Gheorghe Ionescu.  A
satisfying ending really helped, too. Nicely paced and recommended
from me, as well.
--
 - greg