From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Subject: Re: The Cloverfield Paradox
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 15:11:17 -0600
On 2/5/18 8:35 AM, rachel wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Feb 2018 05:46:32 -0600, trotsky wrote:

>>> review
>>>
>>> It's being released direct to video rather than in cinemas first. You
>>> expected better?
>>
>> You're confused.  Netflix produces their own movies now, and this is a
>> new paradigm in the release channels for movies.  Previously they
>> released "Bright" which was both well received and watched by a
>> gajillion people.  It's weird how few people seem to have a grasp about
>> how the business of movies is conducted.
>
> Blah, blah, blah ...
>
> Fact is, I don't recall this Cloverfield Paradox thing getting a wide
> theatrical release, or even so much as seeing an ad on TV for it.
>
> A movie without a theatrical release is direct-to-video, by definition.
>
> Now please tell me the last time a direct-to-video sequel of *anything*
> was anything other than utter crap?

Wow, that's quite a pile of shit.  So my little primer on distribution
channels of movies went right over your head.  It's a Netflix movie
release through Netflix.  Is Netflix a "video"?  No, it's a streaming
video channel.  Is a movie released through a streaming video channel a
made for TV movie then?  Not in the conventional sense because they're
using production values and budgets deemed for theatrical films.  It's a
new paradigm.  If you need help understanding this, just ask.  If you
want another exercise in small mindedness there are specific dudes that
are best at that.