From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Subject: Re: The Cloverfield Paradox
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 15:01:02 -0500

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/02/the-clover...

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/5/16976184/cloverfield-paradox-revie...

>>> Given that it has only been out for a day and a half, it isn't doing
>>> too bad.  Checking IMDB...
>>>
>>> THE CLOVERFIELD PARADOX:  6.1rating with 14,391 votes.
>>>
>>> as a comparison to theater offerings:
>>>
>>> INSIDIOUS THE LAST KEY:  5.8rating with 11,653 votes.
>>> This film has been out for 5 weeks.
>>>
>>> SLUMBER:  4.7rating with 1,178 votes.
>>> This film has been out for 8 weeks.
>>>
>>> AMITYVILLE THE AWAKENING:  4.9rating with 7,181 votes.
>>> This film has been out for 15 weeks.
>>
>> tCP now has 6.0 from  15,208.  Fwiw, I do think Netflix confers a
>> small pro-bias -- e.g., an anti-establishment sticking it to The Man.
>> What's most damning here, though, is the "retro-fitting" angle...
>
> Damning because it is an original story idea then got a retro-fitted
> name/gimmick tacked on to sell it to the masses?

Yes.  Add that to the assertion that it was shelved forever before
escaping online and it does sound like a perpetual second-choice.

(Also, I liked the Cloverfield movies, and hate the blatant branding.)

--

   YOUR taste at work...