From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Subject: Re: NOCTURNE (no spoilers)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 12:31:34 -0500
On 2/7/2018 10:41 AM, Obveeus wrote:

> On 2/7/2018 9:18 AM, moviePig wrote:

>>> By 'painted over', I guess you me rewrite draft of a script?
>>>
>>> Side note:  the last CLOVERFIELD film (10 CLOVERFIELD LANE) was also
>>> a rewrite of a different spec film script (THE CELLAR).
>>
>> If tCP was merely a rewrite, i.e., was "Cloverfield"ed before the
>> cameras ever rolled, that'd make a difference to me.  But I thought it
>> was filmed, shelved, and then re-titled with extreme prejudice.
>
>  From wiki:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cloverfield_Paradox
>
> QUOTE:
> The film was shot in Los Angeles, California, where it received tax
> credits under the state's film incentive program.[19] While filming in
> Los Angeles, the project was shot under the titles of God Particle and
> Clean Pass.[20] Filming began on June 10, 2016 and wrapped on September
> 23, 2016.[17] According to Uziel, it was during production that he came
> to learn that the film was being connected to Cloverfield, requiring him
> to rewrite a few scenes and added addition shooting.[9] Uziel speculated
> that the decision to connect to Cloverfield was due to the difficulty in
> marketing a stand-alone science-fiction film at the time, and felt the
> connection between the films was more of an anthology series similar to
> The Twilight Zone, with each movie dealing with how people with complex
> relations deal with a other-worldly dilemma.[9]
> :UNQUOTE
>

> That paragraph would appear to me to indicate that the rewriting and
> filming of CLOVERFIELD tie-in stuff occurred during the original filming
> of the project.  there is other stuff at the link that hints that the
> script sat around for a few years before any filming began (probably
> because most scripts do and because of studio/ownership changes).  Also,
> after filming, the link explains some delay in release as they worked on
> an ARG video game tie-in and wrung their hands about how the high cost
> of the film would prevent it from becoming a theatrical success.

So he did the re-writes "during" shooting, a sort-of hybrid status.
Then, however, they judged the result unworthy of theaters.  A year
later, the Netflix deal materialized.

Afaics, the most favorable indicator therein is the Netflix badge --
better than, say, a Showtime premiere, but not as auspicious as a 2,000
theater Friday.

--

   YOUR taste at work...