From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Subject: Re: NOCTURNE (no spoilers)
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 09:33:59 -0500
On 2/7/2018 10:11 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 2/7/2018 8:37 PM, Obveeus wrote:

>>> So he did the re-writes "during" shooting, a sort-of hybrid status.
>>> Then, however, they judged the result unworthy of theaters.  A year
>>> later, the Netflix deal materialized.
>>>
>>> Afaics, the most favorable indicator therein is the Netflix badge --
>>> better than, say, a Showtime premiere, but not as auspicious as a
>>> 2,000 theater Friday.
>>
>> What if it was a 2,000 theater opening in February?
>> We are in the month when garbage is traditionally dumped to the big
>> screens.
>
> Without researching, my sense is that, over the past 10 or 15 years, the
> wee months have seen more respectable thriller/horrors than previously.

Respectable horrors...like military intelligence?  Horror is the genre
most associated with schlock.

> And remember, this is a February *streaming* release.  Still, of course,
> I'll welcome any firsthand reports that I'm wrong...

An article addressing the last couple of CLOVERFIELD films as rewrites
of unrelated stand alone scripts as well as some other films like
DIEHARD WITH A VENGENCE, SAW II, EVAN ALMIGHTY and (almost) SOLACE:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/feb/08/the-sequel-paradox-when...