From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Subject: Re: The Cloverfield Paradox
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 16:39:34 -0500

https://www.thestreet.com/story/14478005/1/disney-announces-earnings...

>>> No, we're not talking about your bullshit ways of evaluating a movie
>>> without seeing it, we're talking about your bullshit comment about a
>>> hugely successful company called Netflix is a "renegade" because they
>>> have become successful as an alternate distribution channel for
>>> movies. If this shit is over your head you should probably just avoid
>>> the subject.
>>
>> "Evaluating a movie" is *different* from "evaluating a movie as a good
>> bet".  For instance, one of them requires *watching* the movie, while
>> the other specifically *excludes* it.  I hope this now helps you put
>> that perennial soapbox to better use -- say, as firewood.
>>
>> Netflix, meanwhile, is afaics
>

> You can't see two feet in front of your face then.  Look, you're not a
> bad guy and you're an enthusiast, that's the good news.  The bad news is
> you're mentally lazy and don't mind spouting ignorance.  In case it
> isn't clear I fucking hate that shit. Keep in mind that you were the guy
> that held on to watching pieces of plastic, DVDs, as long as you could.
> Old guys don't like to adopt new technology in general.  I'm an
> electronics junkie and I'm like that myself to some degree.  However, I
> do have a pretty good feel for what sells and what doesn't, so that end,
> here's an article from last June:
>
> http://www.businessinsider.com/netflix-more-popular-than-cable-us-c...
>

>> More people now subscribe to Netflix than cable TV in the US
>>
>>     Jeff Dunn
>>
>>     Jun. 15, 2017, 7:00 PM 7,604
>> Netflix is becoming as much a staple of the American home as cable TV
>> — even more so.
>>
>> In the first quarter of this year, the number of US Netflix
>> subscribers overtook the number of American cable TV subscribers for
>> the first time, according to a recent study by Leichtman Research
>> Group charted for us by Statista. While Netflix has rapidly gained new
>> subscribers, cable has been slowly losing them.
>

> So please, for your own sake, just shut the fuck up until you can get
> even the vaguest grasp of the facts.  Is this what you want, to sound
> absolutely ignorant like a "RichA" or BTRwhogivesafuck?  I'll bet you
> don't.  You sound REALLY stupid when a monstrous business venture such
> as Netflix is described like it's some kind of gonzo pirate TV set up.
> REALLY STUPID.  Jeff Bezos is the richest guy in the world and yet I'd
> bet money that he'd give his left nut to have Amazon Prime Video do what
> Netflix is doing.  Is any of this getting through to you at all?

Regardless of its D&B rating, I maintain that Netflix is perceived as
the upstart innovator -- the "indie", if you like -- when it comes to
programming.  Nobody says, "Here's a good story I hope CBS picks up."

--

   YOUR taste at work...