From: RichA <>
Subject: Re: "Annihilation" Reviewer's criticism is like mine, people displayno sense of wonder
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 14:48:06 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: "Annihilation" Reviewers criticism is like mine, people display
no sense of wonder
From: RichA <>
On Saturday, 24 February 2018 00:41:25 UTC-5,  wrote:
> On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 10:55:18 PM UTC-5, RichA wrote:
> > I've mentioned this before.  In scifis and horrors, people are often confronted with the
fantastic, but unlike real humans, very few ever display a sense of fascinated curiosity or
excitement.  Most are just scared.  Their reactions are uncharacteristic of how humans would act.
Why is that? There is nothing interesting about lack of interest.

> I'm pretty sure I can withstand this lack of using actors' faces reacting to onscreen events in a
thousand movies rather than sit through the 25% of Steven Spielberg's sci-fi films that pound home
through facial reactions of wonder and delight on actors faces. SHOW ME the the wonderful or
gigantic or mesmerizing or paralyzing thing or event or discovery and I'll react to it based on its
merits, rather than how Steven or whatever other director wants to shortcut the actual thing to
cheat using onscreen reactions.

It's more like we've regressed to the 1950's.  See alien, run in terror, then try to kill it.