> Prev
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Subject: "The Big Sick"
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 04:49:39 -0600
This is an Amazon Studios produced movie from Silicon Valley star and
Pakistani American Kumail Nanjiani.  I was surprised and even a little
shocked at how good this movie was.  The only reason for this, I reckon,
is because on Silicon Valley plays a total dork and in this movie he
gets a chance to be much more three dimensional.  The fact that he is
the co-writer of a movie that is clearly autobiographical has to help.
The writing is extremely good, being funny, poignant, and even handed
never making any of the characters unrealistic.  A lot of the movie
deals with traditional Pakistani families arranging marriages and the
way it plays out is fascinating.  His attempt at a being a brown man
doing stand up comedy is also great.  But, perhaps the most show
stealing was Ray Romano and Holly Hunter coming in in the middle as his
girlfriend's parents.  In my opinin their work here is Oscar caliber.

The title is a little strange but when you see the movie it makes sense.

The other noteworthy thing about the movie is it yet another strong
entry in the streaming video company turned movie production company
sweepstakes.  After the debacle that is Harvey Weinstein I can see these
movies continuing to take off, and, if truth be told, I can't remember
what the last movie I've seen in a theater was.