From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Subject: Re: "The Big Sick"
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 12:45:26 -0500
On 2/25/2018 10:24 AM, trotsky wrote:
> On 2/25/2018 8:30 AM, Obveeus wrote:
>>

>> On 2/25/2018 5:49 AM, trotsky wrote:
>>> This is an Amazon Studios produced movie from Silicon Valley star and
>>> Pakistani American Kumail Nanjiani.  I was surprised and even a
>>> little shocked at how good this movie was.  The only reason for this,
>>> I reckon, is because on Silicon Valley plays a total dork and in this
>>> movie he gets a chance to be much more three dimensional.  The fact
>>> that he is the co-writer of a movie that is clearly autobiographical
>>> has to help. The writing is extremely good, being funny, poignant,
>>> and even handed never making any of the characters unrealistic.  A
>>> lot of the movie deals with traditional Pakistani families arranging
>>> marriages and the way it plays out is fascinating.  His attempt at a
>>> being a brown man doing stand up comedy is also great.  But, perhaps
>>> the most show stealing was Ray Romano and Holly Hunter coming in in
>>> the middle as his girlfriend's parents.  In my opinin their work here
>>> is Oscar caliber.
>>>
>>> The title is a little strange but when you see the movie it makes sense.
>>
>> I feel that THE BIG SICK was the best film that came out in 2017.
>>
>>> The other noteworthy thing about the movie is it yet another strong
>>> entry in the streaming video company turned movie production company
>>> sweepstakes.  After the debacle that is Harvey Weinstein I can see
>>> these movies continuing to take off, and, if truth be told, I can't
>>> remember what the last movie I've seen in a theater was.
>>
>> Weinstein was closely tied to both Amazon Studios and Netflix, though,
>> so there is no respite from predatory filmmakers in the streaming arena.
>

> Closely tied meaning he had women from there tie him up with ropes as
> part of his sex games?  I don't understand your vague assertion. Perhaps
> a cite explaining it is necessary.

No cite is necessary because people are probably familiar with Weinstein
doing projects for both Amazon and Netflix.  This stuff has been in the
news over the last 6 months or so as the scandal churned along.  I know
you like to shout 'cite' at every opportunity, but really, you are a
tedious human being prone to an inability to have these/any
conversations so why would I go out of my way to produce a cite for you
when you could easily look it up on the internet if you actually cared
to know?