From: alvey <alvey@is.invalid>
Subject: Re: "The Big Sick"
From: alvey <alvey@is.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 06:02:19 +1000
On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 04:49:39 -0600, trotsky wrote:

> This is an Amazon Studios produced movie from Silicon Valley star and
> Pakistani American Kumail Nanjiani.  I was surprised and even a little
> shocked at how good this movie was.  The only reason for this, I reckon,
> is because on Silicon Valley plays a total dork and in this movie he
> gets a chance to be much more three dimensional.  The fact that he is
> the co-writer of a movie that is clearly autobiographical has to help.
> The writing is extremely good, being funny, poignant, and even handed
> never making any of the characters unrealistic.  A lot of the movie
> deals with traditional Pakistani families arranging marriages and the
> way it plays out is fascinating.  His attempt at a being a brown man
> doing stand up comedy is also great.  But, perhaps the most show
> stealing was Ray Romano and Holly Hunter coming in in the middle as his
> girlfriend's parents.  In my opinin their work here is Oscar caliber.
>
> The title is a little strange but when you see the movie it makes sense.
>
> The other noteworthy thing about the movie is it yet another strong
> entry in the streaming video company turned movie production company
> sweepstakes.  After the debacle that is Harvey Weinstein I can see these
> movies continuing to take off, and, if truth be told, I can't remember
> what the last movie I've seen in a theater was.

Two other noteworthy aspects of it were that there was a complete absence
of; a) super-powered comic book characters, and b) gun play. Over the last
few days I watched; Cold in July, Wind River and the infinitely idiotic
John Wick. America, can you see a nexus?
The Big Sick isn't actually a very good movie. Its plot is predictable,
both the acting and dialogue are mediocre, it is the rarity of its type
that makes it appear better than it is.

alvey