From: trotsky <>
Subject: Re: "The Big Sick"
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 14:40:29 -0600
On 2/25/18 2:02 PM, alvey wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 04:49:39 -0600, trotsky wrote:
>> This is an Amazon Studios produced movie from Silicon Valley star and
>> Pakistani American Kumail Nanjiani.  I was surprised and even a little
>> shocked at how good this movie was.  The only reason for this, I reckon,
>> is because on Silicon Valley plays a total dork and in this movie he
>> gets a chance to be much more three dimensional.  The fact that he is
>> the co-writer of a movie that is clearly autobiographical has to help.
>> The writing is extremely good, being funny, poignant, and even handed
>> never making any of the characters unrealistic.  A lot of the movie
>> deals with traditional Pakistani families arranging marriages and the
>> way it plays out is fascinating.  His attempt at a being a brown man
>> doing stand up comedy is also great.  But, perhaps the most show
>> stealing was Ray Romano and Holly Hunter coming in in the middle as his
>> girlfriend's parents.  In my opinin their work here is Oscar caliber.
>> The title is a little strange but when you see the movie it makes sense.
>> The other noteworthy thing about the movie is it yet another strong
>> entry in the streaming video company turned movie production company
>> sweepstakes.  After the debacle that is Harvey Weinstein I can see these
>> movies continuing to take off, and, if truth be told, I can't remember
>> what the last movie I've seen in a theater was.
> Two other noteworthy aspects of it were that there was a complete absence
> of; a) super-powered comic book characters, and b) gun play. Over the last
> few days I watched; Cold in July, Wind River and the infinitely idiotic
> John Wick. America, can you see a nexus?
> The Big Sick isn't actually a very good movie. Its plot is predictable,
> both the acting and dialogue are mediocre, it is the rarity of its type
> that makes it appear better than it is.

You must have seen a different movie than me.  Several lines were LOL
funny, such as "a dog with a boner" and "we lost nineteen of our best
guys", and those are just two I can name off the top of my head.  And
what happened to his erstwhile girlfriend came completely out of left
field.  As for the acting, Ray Romano and Holly Hunter is fantastic, but
since they rarely give out Oscars for comedies they weren't recognized.
Then there was the glimpse into Pakistani culture, which was woven into
the story seamlessly.  But, if you had only watched action and dramas
previously it could be you don't like Judd Apatow type comedies.