From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Weinstein Company sold
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2018 09:43:46 -0500
On 3/2/2018 9:35 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <p7bkmi$b3c$1@dont-email.me>, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The Weinstein company has a sale agreement in place for the company.
>> The new ownership, led by Maria Contreras-Sweet (head of the Small
>> Business Administration under Obama) will set aside $90Million for
>> Weinstein's victims,
>
> So, what, about $25 apiece?

I suspect this $90million set aside will bring more claims out of the
woodwork.

>   keep the 150 or so employees employed,
>
> Because none of them were complicit

I think the complicit employees already quit the company and filed
lawsuits claiming that they were victims.  I hope there is a way to
exclude them from any payouts.  As for complicit board members...yes,
they probably all need to be replaced, even if some of them did start
protesting in the later years.

>   and promises
>> to create a new executive board that is mostly female.
>
> Because that shouldn't send her straight to prison.
>
> Oh, wait, yes, it should.

I have no idea why they think statements like that aren't proof of
sexual discrimination.  Maybe the board is filled with unpaid positions
so it doesn't count as a job?

>    They also
>> promise that people acting in bad faith will not be rewarded (hopefully
>> meaning that board members forced out only after years of enabling
>> Weinstein will not be rewarded and that personal assistants to Weinstein
>> who helped lure/trap women won't be able to claim victim-hood themselves).
>
> It's hard to imagine that company isn't rotten through and through.

Its also hard to imagine that it is much different than every other
personally owned company in Hollywood...or America for that matter.

> It's also hard to imagine that, as hands on as he was (hah!), it isn't
> pointless without him, except maybe as a way to miss-manage (hah!!)
> previous assets.

The catalog income will keep this company afloat once they get out from
under the cloud/ban of Weinstein.  After that, success will depend on
the ability of the new owners to hire talent and pick the right projects