From: TT <ascii@dprk.kp>
Subject: OSCARS 2018 - Best Picture Nominees
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: TT <ascii@dprk.kp>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2018 15:21:17 +0200
I had a Best Picture nominee -a-thon yesterday. Here are my brief
reviews on best picture nominees, in order from most likely winner to
least likely according to Betfair.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/special-bets/market/1.13283865
https://www.listchallenges.com/oscars-2018-full-list-of-nominated-fi...

-

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)
-A woman (Frances McDormand) pays for three billboards to remind local
police about unsolved murder of her daughter. A funny, poignant and
violent character study on people in Hicksville, USA... something
between FARGO and WINTER'S BONE... great entertaining film with
absorbing characters. This is the best bet for Best Picture and Frances
McDormand seems to be a lock for the female lead Oscar with her
downgraded appearance and spicy character. Woody Harrelson and Sam
Rockwell are also nominated for supporting actor Oscar. Nominated in
total for 7 Oscars, won 4 Golden Globes. Very good modern film and my
favourite for Best Pic. 8/10

-

The Shape of Water (2017)
-CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON meets WARGAMES meets FREE WILLY meets
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. Lots of Oscar hype with this one, well filmed and
memorable scifi monster love story. Good looking but a bit generic 80s
type film with diversity Oscar bait angle. I don't get the hype really.
Nominated for 13 Oscars and might get the Directing & Cinematography
trophies from the big ones? 6/10

-

Get Out (2017)
-WICKER MAN meets STEPFORD WIVES. Very entertaining horror scifi action
thriller with black lead. Black lives matter Oscar bait? Good film but
in the end becomes just another fight against the baddies flick thus I
don't see this winning the best pic. Nominated for 4 Oscars but my
favourite thing in the film was Betty Gabriel's performance as black
servant under the spell, she wasn't nominated for supporting actress. 7/10

-

Lady Bird (2017)
-Coming of age family drama starring Saoirse Ronan. She plays a college
girl who uses the name "Lady Bird" instead of her real name for some odd
reason. Sort of funny and poignant "normal lives"-story. The film occurs
in Sacramento and the director was obviously in love with the city.
Ronan is good but not great and I was a bit underwhelmed by the story,
nothing happens. I had a big problem with borderline lesbian "prom"
scene, doesn't happen in real life I think. Nominated for 5 Oscars. 6/10

-

Dunkirk (2017)
-Dragging, boring and lacking altogether character development. I don't
get the hype at all. Some nice action scenes. Nominated for 8 Oscars. 4/10

-

The Post (2017)
-Topical Oscar-bait from Spielberg, starring Streep and Hanks; on The
Washington Post fighting for freedom of the press in Nixon era. Can a
newspaper publish classified material and must it reveal its
sources/whistle blowers. Historical, important and relevant but somehow
failing to capture and intrigue. Hanks plays himself and Streep doesn't
convince much either. The film is simply too long and slow while unable
to create enough tension and drama. It's obviously trying to be another
ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN and imo failing at it rather badly. Nominated
for 2 Oscars. 5/10

-

Call Me By Your Name (2017)
-A 17 year old American boy in early 80s Italy has a holiday romance
with slightly older American man. Very well done rather slow film with
lots of atmosphere, reminds me of the brilliant 1980s series BRIDESHEAD
REVISITED. It's a diversity Oscar-bait with gay romance and made me
wonder how come gay romance films appear to be nowadays better than
heterosexual ones, is it about the forbidden fruit? It succeeds to be
rather erotic in second half but also requires a high tolerance for gay
sex. The 17 year old boy looked so young at times that I got some
paedophile vibes from the film - perhaps that was on purpose casting
since the film focused a lot on ancient Roman/Greek statues while I
understand pederasty was common there. Nominated for 4 Oscars. 7/10

-

Phantom Thread (2017)
-Exquisitely paced and filmed story about extremely pedantic dressmaker
starring Daniel Day Lewis. The atmosphere, pace and meticulousness from
THE REMAINS OF THE DAY meets twisted story of THE BEGUILED... and I
reckon Paul Thomas Anderson loaned things from those two films. DDL's
character finds a muse and things don't go quite as planned, or do
they... Memorable high quality film although some may be disturbed by
the rather slow pace. I see this film as a dark horse for Best Picture
and Cinematography, certainly for Costume Design. DDL has a good success
rate with Best Actor trophies as well. Nominated for 6 Oscars. 8/10

-

Darkest Hour (2017)
-Film about Winston Churchill. Haven't seen yet. Nominated for 6 Oscars
and apparently Gary Oldman is a lock for Best Actor from his portrayal
as Churchill.

-

....Other films that I've seen I'd mention LOVING VINCENT (2017) which
should win Oscar for long animation since it's animated brilliantly;
hand drawn during several years and looks all the way through exactly
like Vincent van Gogh paintings. The downfall is that the story itself
was a bit of a bore/mess and apparently one can't win this category if
they're not named Disney or Pixar.

....Oscars will be hosted by Jimmy Kimmel.