From: Irish Ranger <irishranger317@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Watching, or not watching, the Oscars
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin3!goblin.stu.neva.ru!inn10.news.alteholz.net!news.in-chemnitz.de!feeder.erje.net!1.eu.feeder.erje.net!border1.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.am4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!peer01.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!e10no1352639itf.0!news-out.google.com!a25ni4016itj.0!nntp.google.com!w142no1349424ita.0!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 04:59:33 -0800 (PST)
From: Irish Ranger <irishranger317@gmail.com>
On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 8:36:12 PM UTC-5, Irish Ranger wrote:
> I used to watch the Oscars back when they were still about movies and movie stars.  But now it's
> just a left wing political platform for bashing America, conservatives and traditional values.  And
> the liberal's hysterical, frothing at the mouth hatred for President Trump, since he defeated
Hillary Clinton,
> has gone completely off the rails.
>
> Also, given the recent mass exposure of the sexual harassment culture that has infested Hollywood
for decades, I am even less inclined to listen to their self-righteous, morally superior preaching
about
> the short-comings in the conduct of we "deplorables".
>
> That said, there is still one small part of the Oscars that I do watch, which is the Memoriam
segment
> where they pay fleeting homage to the movie stars who have passed away.  It seem fitting to spend
> a minute or two acknowledging the life and work of these actors and the memories they created.
> I only wish they would make the segment longer and, maybe some day, do a special tribute to the
> movie stats who were some how over looked and not shown, back when they passed away.
>
> So I record the Oscars, fast forward to the Memoriam, watch it and then hit delete.
>
> Irish Mike

This story appeared today, the day after the Oscars:

"The 2018 Oscars “In Memoriam” segment got an "incomplete" grade from fans after stars including
Adam West, Glen Campbell and David Cassidy were left out of the prestigious montage.

The awards show always honors Hollywood actors, singers and filmmakers who died in the last year.
Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder performed Tom Petty’s “Room at the Top,” a tribute to the late
singer, who died last October. The “In Memoriam” segment featured stars such as Sir Roger Moore,
Don Rickles, Harry Dean Stanton and Jerry Lewis.

Watchers on social media, however, were quick to point out West, known for playing Batman in the
1960s TV series, was snubbed in the segment. West died last June after battling leukemia.
Campbell, who died last August at 81, starred in the 1969 film “True Grit” and was nominated for
best original song, "I'm Not Going to Miss You," in 2015.

Other people left out of the “In Memoriam” segment included “Harlem Nights” actress Della
Reese, “The Lion King” actor Robert Guillaume, “Fraiser” star John Mahoney, "Gomer Pyle"s
Jim Nabors, "The Partridge Family" star David Cassidy, "Magnum P.I." actor John Hillerman, “Texas
Chainsaw Massacre” director Tobe Hooper, “Written on the Wind” actress Dorothy Malone, and
“House of Cards” actor Reg. E. Cathey.

Some people also argued that “M*A*S*H” star David Ogden Stiers should have been honored in the
segment, though he died a day before the awards show. However, the Oscars did manage to add Bill
Paxton into last year's "In Memoriam," who also died a day before the 2017 Academy Awards. "

Irish Mike