From: Inkan1969 <>
Subject: Re: THE SHAPE OF WATER (2017)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 06:21:55 -0800 (PST)
From: Inkan1969 <>
On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 9:44:01 PM UTC-5, Bill Anderson wrote:
> A mute cleaning woman discovers a man/fish being held captive in a
> government lab and things go on from there.  This film has been
> nominated for a host of Academy Awards and I don't get it, I just don't
> get it. I kept wondering for whom this movie had been made.  Fans of
> comic book movies? Fans of romance movies? Fans of 50s monster movies?
> No to all that, Shirley, and it certainly wasn't made for the likes of
> me. The Snidely Whiplash villains were cardboard cartoon caricatures,
> the fishman was wearing a replica of the rubber suit worn by the
> Creature from the Black Lagoon, the acting was adequate but uninspired,
> there wasn't a single story element I hadn't encountered before, nothing
> special here, why did they make this waste-of-time silly movie?
> And HOW did it get nominated for Best Picture?  No...just no.
> --
> Bill Anderson
> I am the Mighty Favog

Del Toro implied that it was made for 50's movie monster fans:  he said he wondered what "Creature
from the Black Lagoon" would've been like if the Gil-Man got the girl.

I agree with you here.  The movie felt too self conscious about its kitschy portrayal of the late
50's.  And the movie villain was a one dimensional copy of the villain from Del Toro's "Pan's

 - Inkan1969