Next <
From: trotsky <>
Subject: Re: THE SHAPE OF WATER (2017)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 11:44:46 -0600
On 3/5/18 8:21 AM, Inkan1969 wrote:
> On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 9:44:01 PM UTC-5, Bill Anderson wrote:
>> A mute cleaning woman discovers a man/fish being held captive in a
>> government lab and things go on from there.  This film has been
>> nominated for a host of Academy Awards and I don't get it, I just don't
>> get it. I kept wondering for whom this movie had been made.  Fans of
>> comic book movies? Fans of romance movies? Fans of 50s monster movies?
>> No to all that, Shirley, and it certainly wasn't made for the likes of
>> me. The Snidely Whiplash villains were cardboard cartoon caricatures,
>> the fishman was wearing a replica of the rubber suit worn by the
>> Creature from the Black Lagoon, the acting was adequate but uninspired,
>> there wasn't a single story element I hadn't encountered before, nothing
>> special here, why did they make this waste-of-time silly movie?
>> And HOW did it get nominated for Best Picture?  No...just no.
>> --
>> Bill Anderson
>> I am the Mighty Favog
> Del Toro implied that it was made for 50's movie monster fans:  he said he wondered what "Creature
from the Black Lagoon" would've been like if the Gil-Man got the girl.
> I agree with you here.  The movie felt too self conscious about its kitschy portrayal of the late
50's.  And the movie villain was a one dimensional copy of the villain from Del Toro's "Pan's

The movie looked like other del Toro movies.  The lab scenes where the
creature was kept reminded me of the scenes where the bad guy filled
with sand was kept in "Hellboy".  But the sense of nostalgia when
Richard Jenkins and Sally Hawkins were together were like nothing else
he's ever done.  And the bad guy was way worse than the bad guy in Pan's
Labyrinth, and set up the ending quite nicely.  They have classes in
music appreciation, sometimes when I read these comments I think there
should be classes in movie appreciation too.