From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Guns and parachutes in movies
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 19:47:55 -0500
On 3/5/2018 5:38 PM, Bill Steele wrote:
> On 3/1/18 6:17 PM, alvey wrote:
>> And btw; If the USA Constitution is so fucking sacrosanct, how did it get
>> Amendments?
>
> States demanded variouis things before they would ratify. In this case,
> some of them wanted to keep their own armies.

Yep...and the 2nd Amendment was passed so that southern states could
keep owning slaves:

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/second-amendment-ratified-preserve-...

> A lot of the rest of it -- freedom of speech and press, search and
> seizure -- probably came from people who had lived under totalitarian
> regimes in Europe. It was all about the central government not having
> too much power. United STATES.
>
> Go rent a copy of "1776." It will also tell you why our national bird is
> an eagle, even though a turkey would be a better symbol of our current
> society.

Turkeys tasted too good for anyone to want to protect them as a national
treasure.

> There might also be something about it in "Hamilton."

The short version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v0c6smpHSk