From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Oscar ratings crash - maybe the lowest of all time
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 11:36:37 -0500
On 3/6/2018 9:41 AM, super70s wrote:
>> "Jimmy Kimmel claimed he was keeping this year's Oscars positive, but the
>> ratings were anything but.
>>
>> The politically charged 2018 Academy Awards were down 15.6 percent
>> compared to the 2017 viewership with an 18.9 rating in Nielsen's overnight
>> numbers from 8-11 p.m. ET, according to TheWrap.

>> Media Research Center Vice President Dan Gainor told Fox News that people
>> shouldn't be surprised that the show turned political and featured "divisive,
>> left-wing politics" throughout the four-hour event.
>>
>> "The Tinseltown elite genuinely hate the people they expect will pay to see
>> their movies and watch their TV shows," Gainor said. "Why do we support
>> them?"
>
> Sounds like "Media Research Center" exists solely to spin for the right,
> like Razzmuzzen.

I suppose there might be some people who refused to watch this year's
awards because they feared that there would be a political
theme...though if there was going to be any real movement to the awards
it was always going to be the 'MeToo' thing which isn't exactly 'political'.

I think the main reason that ratings dropped are:

1.  ratings for everything are dropping.
2.  this year's lineup of nominated movies was lackluster.  WONDER WOMAN
didn't get nominated to pull in the popular film crowd.  I know my
desire to even watch went from low to zero when THE BIG SICK didn't get
nominated for Best Picture.  This year's winner, THE SHAPE OF WATER, was
a box office champ by Oscar winner standards, but still took in under
$60million at the box office and barely made the Top50 films in box
office for last year.