From: Obveeus <>
Subject: Re: Oscar ratings crash - maybe the lowest of all time
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 14:55:51 -0500
On 3/6/2018 2:07 PM, SLGreg wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 11:36:37 -0500, Obveeus<> wrote:
>> I think the main reason that ratings dropped are:
>> 1.  ratings for everything are dropping.
>> 2.  this year's lineup of nominated movies was lackluster.  WONDER WOMAN
>> didn't get nominated to pull in the popular film crowd.  I know my
>> desire to even watch went from low to zero when THE BIG SICK didn't get
>> nominated for Best Picture.  This year's winner, THE SHAPE OF WATER, was
>> a box office champ by Oscar winner standards, but still took in under
>> $60million at the box office and barely made the Top50 films in box
>> office for last year.
> THE SHAPE OF WATER wasn't geared at 14 year old boys, who line the box
> office tills with all the super hero crap.

True, it was aimed at 40+ women who are lonely.

....and it won apparently because voters heard the gimmick/hook (trying
to make a film where THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON gets the girl)
and applauded the successfulness of that goal.

> I heard DUNKIRK made the most of all BP nominees.

True, but GET OUT was just barely behind at the US Box Office and it,
like THE SHAPE OF WATER left me perplexed as to why they were even