> Prev
From: hector <bobble@there.com>
Subject: Rebel in the Rye (2017)
Full headers:
From: hector <bobble@there.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 16:25:07 +1100
Saw this short biopic of JD Salinger.  I reckon that some people feel
they have seen a lot of this type of thing before, but here it is
actually a true story.
I liked it more than I thought I would.  I even learned something about
Salinger's writing style.  Non-person Kevin Spacey plays Salinger's
mentor. This could have been his last starring role.  It seems
appropriate too.
A seemingly light weight Salinger appears determined to be a writer.  He
eventually learns the lessons and participates in some of the worst
aspects of WWII.  And Charlie Chaplin steals his girlfriend.  After
encouragement he decides that to move on he needs to write the Holden
Caulfield novel.  So he writes a story about a boy at Christmas time.
It seemed like a TV movie, not sure if it was.