From: Davoud <star@sky.net>
Subject: Re: Lightroom CC
Full headers:
From: Davoud <star@sky.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 22:12:26 -0400
Tony Cooper:
> The following are observations and comments on the new Lightroom CC
> and not at all criticisms.  Each of us who use Lightroom have our own
> workflow that we've become used to and a requirement to change that
> workflow is usually not viewed well.  And, each of us has different
> needs.

I have been in a secret underground bunker for some time as a beta
tester for Lightroom Classic CC and Lightroom CC. I thought of myself
as a representative of the advanced-amateur cohort. I bought Lightroom
when it first appeared and ran it alongside Aperture. I saw the
handwriting on the wall long before Apple discontinued Aperture and
transitioned to Lightroom for all of my asset management and
pre-processing well before Apple discontinued Aperture.

Even so, I don't yet have a complete handle on how I will use the two
new apps together. I know how they work, learned some of Adobe's
thinking, even accepted the mistake Adobe made in naming the apps, but
I haven't settled on a personal workflow.

Executive summary: Your points make sense, but readers should bear in
mind that Lightroom CC is four days old. It's version 1. I doubt that
anyone has mastered all of the ins and outs at this point. much less
settled on a workflow. Let's see what it looks like a year from now.

> I have no particular need for, or interest in, access to LR from more
> than one work station.  But, I downloaded LR CC and gave it a run.

Why not give it a run! The new Lightroom CC is included in your
subscription. I have the need to run Lightroom and Photoshop from
multiple machines. I have a license for Adobe CC (all apps) on two
iMacs and a license for Adobe Photography Plan (Lightroom Classic CC,
Lightroom CC, and Photoshop) on two MacBook Pros.

For those who have a problem with the subscription scheme, tough luck.
Go elsewhere. Top-tier editing with Photoshop and now two versions of
Lightroom (three counting the mobile app) is an absolute bargain at
$9.99 per month, less for students and some others.

> Some of the differences between LR CC and LR Classic baffle me.  I
> don't understand why Adobe created these differences.

The important thing for people to understand is that Lightroom Classic
CC is the *same* Lightroom that they have known and loved, but with a
new and possibly confusing name and with improved performance and added
features. Nothing changes in file handling, including the ability to
send selected photos to the cloud for viewing and editing on your iPad.

Adobe took a lot of guff from beta testers in the Prerelease Forum on
product naming. In a nutshell, they gave the old app a new
name