Subject: Re: A lightroom question
Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 09:36:43 -0400
On 10/25/2017 12:55 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On Oct 25, 2017, PeterN wrote
> (in article<osqdji017ak@news3.newsguy.com>):
>
>> I use Lightroom CC Classic and Photoshop CC.
>> I send images to various people and competitions. Before I send the
>> image I place it in a dedicated folder. Sometimes, while reviewing the
>> images, I see something that should be changed. If it is a JPEG image I
>> color space changes, and re-save. All of that takes a lot of time. Does
>> anyone know how to directly save the change using only LR? I don't want
>> to do this on JPEG files, but only on tiff.
>
> How are you sending the images, individual, or a folder of images, Dropbox,
> or Adobe CC?
>
> One way to make the change adjustment to any image file. JPEG, PSD, TIFF,
> when using LR is to use the export dialog. Using my method you can readjust
> JPEGs without degradation.
>
> I usually start with a virtual copy in Lightroom and make the
> edits/adjustments. When I think the image is ready for export, I go to the
> export dialog where I have presets for various cloud services such as
> Dropbox, or Adobe CC. I might have a Dropbox “DEMO” folder, or an Adobe
> “Project x” folder, and I can designate sub-folders if I need them. I can
> export adjusted originals, resized, or in the case of JPEGs, resized, and
> comprerssion level.
>
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/gcyqgy6o1ckr47k/screenshot_206.png>
>
> If I find that the edited image exported to DB, or Adobe CC needs further
> adjustment, I just go to Lightroom and make the new adjustments to the LR
> virtual copy. I then re-export without changing the export file name. A
> dialog/warning window will open advising that the file name already exists.
> You will be given several options; Overwrite, which will overwrite and
> replace the existing TIFF/JPEG ; Skip to skip the existing file; “Use
> Unique Names” which will add a number to the file name giving you two
> copies in the export location.

Thanks.
Some of the time the adjustment can easily be fixed in LR, and sometimes
the adjustment can only be done in PS. I think you answered my issue for
JPEG. If I have a JPEG in my LR collection that has been previously
exported, since later adjustments will be to the LR copy, and not the
exported JPEG, it will not cause further degradation.
Is my understanding correct?

--
PeterN