Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 18:00:33 -0400
On 2017-10-26 17:01, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 15:33:00 -0400, Alan Browne
><alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
>
>> On 2017-10-24 09:26, newshound wrote:
>>> I have an ancient (and almost unused) Dimage Scan Dual IV which
>>> I believe was well rated in its day. Is it still worth taking the
>>> trouble to try to get it working on Win 10 (I also have a Macbook
>>> Pro and a Unix box)? No current drivers from Minolta/Konica I
>>> understand, should I invest in VueScan, or something else?
>>>
>>> Or would it be easier just to buy something more recent? Not
>>> looking to spend "professional" money, but not bargain basement
>>> either.
>>
>> I'd get it up and running, but I'm funny that way.  That scanner
>> was a late model, the last from Minolta being the 5400 (and 5400
>> II).  I had the 5400 and it was excellent.  (Sold it and bought a
>> Nikon 9000ED).
>>
>> Is VueScan worth it?  Sure.  Currently it's about US$90.  Question
>> is: can you get equivalent (or better) scans of the photos of
>> interest for less cost (and hassle).
>
> I have a Dimage scanner but it's slow. Are there good commercial
> scanning services for slides, that can handle a chest full of old
> slides?  Some slides have disintegrating cardboard surrounds that
> will have to be cleaned. Do these commercial scanning services clean
> the slides too?  Some slides have been stored in the open with
> emulsion-side up and so have dust entrained in the emulsion.   And
> there are fingerprints.  Can the soiled surface of the emulsion be
> scraped off?

Very difficult to clean the emulsion side unless you have the right
chemicals and technique.  One of those chemicals is now banned.  (Google
away for the details).

ICE (in those scanners that have it) does a remarkable job and even a
badly scratched, dusty, finger printed slide comes out great but may
need a bit of touch up.  VueScan supports ICE (as IR scanning).

Call a service to find out to what degree they'll handle damaged slides.