From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: OT, kinda, video
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 08:06:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Thursday, 26 October 2017 19:13:14 UTC+1, Tony Cooper  wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 10:23:07 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
><whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, 26 October 2017 18:05:43 UTC+1, Tony Cooper  wrote:

from the belt lengh of the guns on the B-17    as in give them the whole or full 9 yards.

> >> Nine yards has no real significance in American football.  It's a gain
> >> or loss in yardage, but the significant measurement is ten yards.  If
> >> a team gains ten yards or more in their series of plays, the next down
> >> is a first down and they have four more downs in possession.
> >
> >As clear as mud :-)
> >
> The difference between American football and European football is that
> the American football players attempt to advance the ball towards the
> opponent's goalposts.

It's the same in European football the main differnce is that in European football they aremn;t
allowwed to pick up the ball and the ball is spherical rather than an elongated ellipsoidal shape.

>   European football players mostly mill around
> the middle of the field kicking the ball to and fro and not advancing
> it in either direction.

Don't think you have that quite right.

> Also, when an American football player goes down, it is because an
> opponent, or a gaggle of opponents, has forced him down to stop his
> advance.  When a European football player goes down, it is a dramatic
> move worthy of a BAFTA award for Best Performance for a Solo Effort.

Teh amount of protection an american foobball player wears is also more substantial that most of our
troops sent to wars zones get.