From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Subject: Re: Weird Picasa bug (only affects Lexmark printers?)
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 11:23:59 -0400
In article<M4udnZOsIr6c127EnZ2dnUU78Q_NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>,
newshound<newshound@stevejqr.plus.com> wrote:

> I guess the serious posters here don't use Picasa, but thought it might
> interest some lurkers or future searchers.
>
> I use Picasa as a cheap and cheerful filing system that provides simple
> basic editing (mostly I only need cropping and straightening).
>
> I also write technical reports containing photographs of broken bits of
> industrial plant, using Word. To keep the final file size down I tend to
> use the Picasa "export" function to downsize the images to 1024 pixels.
> (I know I could downsize further without affecting the printed report,
> but this lets people pull reasonable images out of the Word file later
> if they want to).
>
> My reports look fine on screen (including print preview) and print
> perfectly on a mono Laserjet and a Brother inkjet. But I use a Lexmark
> (CS410dn) if I want hard copies. And these exported JPEGs, when inserted
> into Word, don't then print correctly on the Lexmark, they print in the
> correct sized frame on the paper but the image part is enlarged, showing
> only the top left hand corner of the image, and cropping the rest.

that suggests word is the problem in how it's placing/sizing the jpeg,
not the exported jpeg itself.

what does the jpg show for resolution?
what happens if you use another word processing or page layout app?

> After much trial and error, I've found it is the Picasa Export which
> causes the problem. If you open and then save the JPEG in Paint
> (overwriting the original file) the problem goes away.

that doesn't mean it's a bug in picasa.

if the jpeg from picasa is valid, then it's word and/or lexmark.

how did you validate the jpeg? or did you?