From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: OT, kinda, video
From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 00:19:42 -0400
References: <38189cd1-fa45-421b-99f2-361de524626b@googlegroups.com> <b194vct859l6pgjcv9dd66j3b2u136l7ru@4ax.com> <o697vcpt4sq6qgc8cd27vqooiue8inq3gb@4ax.com> <271020171732452825%nospam@nospam.invalid> <hpd7vclk1jmbncg5bc1iln0t51oueajg85@4ax.com> <271020171851477392%nospam@nospam.invalid> <6hs7vc581t86gj8v8g412fihnd5m54losm@4ax.com> <271020172318287476%nospam@nospam.invalid> <0001HW.1FA4302200474A8670000B2DD2CF@news.giganews.com> <ot3gim12qfi@news4.newsguy.com>
On Sat, 28 Oct 2017 23:05:52 -0400, PeterN
<"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote:

>On 10/27/2017 11:25 PM, Savageduck wrote:
>> On Oct 27, 2017, nospam wrote
>> (in article<271020172318287476%nospam@nospam.invalid>):

>>> that's not a wall.
>>
>> It is a figurative wall much like a gridiron scrimmage line could be
>> considered a figurative wall, not a literal brick wall.
>> You are being a bit too obtuse in pressing your POV.
>>

>Is obtuse the correct word?

Well, he is being obtuse in that he doesn't show any sign of
understanding the metaphorical use of "wall".

Anyone should be quite familiar with that type of use.  We speak of a
wall of water in a flash flood or tidal wave, a wall of obstruction by
the opposing political party, a "Chinese wall" where information
deliberately isn't shared, long distance runners hitting the wall, and
many other types of walls that are not physical constructions.

You might also say he's being excessively literal in ignoring that the
word "wall" can be used metaphorically or allegorically (a symbolic
representation).

But, I would think that Eric would know by now that nospam enters
threads with the sole intent to argue based on a pathetic need to be
noticed and paid attention to.  Any response to nospam gets a response
from nospam, so he is always the last to comment on anything.  He'll
keep anything going to maintain face time here.

This particular objection, though, was a stretch even for nospam.

Speaking of sports metaphors where human figures were represented by
physical objects, a couple of the best were Tim Cohane's description
of the Fordham University's 1929/1930s football offensive line as "The
Seven Blocks of Granite" and Grantland Rice's description of that same
Fordham line saying "The Fordham Wall Still Stands".

Rice also metaphorically compared human figures to apocalyptic figures
in describing the 1924 Notre Dame backfield as "The Four Horsemen" and
mixed his metaphor by also describing them as the crest of a cyclone.
And, managed to describe the flat field of the Polo Grounds as
containing a precipice and being a green plain at the same time.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida