From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Subject: Re: OT, kinda, video
Full headers:
From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
References: <o697vcpt4sq6qgc8cd27vqooiue8inq3gb@4ax.com> <271020171732452825%nospam@nospam.invalid> <hpd7vclk1jmbncg5bc1iln0t51oueajg85@4ax.com> <271020171851477392%nospam@nospam.invalid> <6hs7vc581t86gj8v8g412fihnd5m54losm@4ax.com> <271020172318287476%nospam@nospam.invalid> <0001HW.1FA4302200474A8670000B2DD2CF@news.giganews.com> <ot3gim12qfi@news4.newsguy.com> <fijavchjqhi5dnql9vkon1bipnepdkpmvc@4ax.com> <291020170048574037%nospam@nospam.invalid>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 20:31:29 +1300
On Sun, 29 Oct 2017 00:48:57 -0400, nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>> >Is obtuse the correct word?
>>
>> Well, he is being obtuse in that he doesn't show any sign of
>> understanding the metaphorical use of "wall".
>
>now i do, but not when he initially said 'a giant wall is about to
>descend'.
>
>not everyone plays rugby and knows what the terminology is.

It's got nothing especially to do with rugby. Tony got it right.

>> Anyone should be quite familiar with that type of use.  We speak of a
>> wall of water in a flash flood or tidal wave, a wall of obstruction by
>> the opposing political party, a "Chinese wall" where information
>> deliberately isn't shared, long distance runners hitting the wall, and
>> many other types of walls that are not physical constructions.
>
>he used the word wall without a descriptor ('a wall is about to
>descend'), versus your examples (wall of water, chinese wall).
>
>you bash me for not being clear (even when what i write is clear as can
>be) yet you give a free pass when others are not.

I thought that even you would understand what I was referring to after
a single glimpse of the picture.

--

Regards,

Eric Stevens