From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Subject: Re: Lightroom CC
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 09:21:14 -0400
In article<3dngce-gr5.ln1@squidward.local.dionic.net>, Tim Watts<tw_usenet@dionic.net> wrote:

> On a tangent, but under the same topic:
>
> I just had a very quick play with Lightroom Web.
>
> It's looking rather promising. I imported some photos (jpg and Lumix RAW).
>
> I'm stuck in how to get a 1:1 preview to check focus, but other aspects
> are looking good. Being able to basically organise stuff and have
> instant access via the web and LR Mobile is cool.
>
> The editing facilities are pretty cool for a web app too.

they're even better in the native app.

> This is from someone who uses Linux and does not have the facilities to
> run LR Classic well

then it's time to upgrade to a desktop operating system so you can use
state of the art software, not just lightroom.

> (Windows on a VM is painful).

anything windows is painful, but not because its running in a vm.

what are you using for a vm?

> My only concerns (apart from not being able to find out how to do a 1:1)
> are:
>
> 1) The import is a bit vague - can I be sure it got all of them?

the import is not vague.

> 2) Colour tuning the screen... Linux is not great at colour management
> anyway and now we have a browser in the way too. So how faithful is the
> colour rendering?

it's as faithful as your colour management.

if you can't calibrate it, then it's not faithful at all.

the browser is not in the way, since it uses the colour calibration
information.

> Do we need to go to an iPad Pro to really review stuff?

no. lightroom runs on mac and windows, along with a lot more that is
unavailable for linux.

linux is fine for servers, but for desktop use, it's a disaster.