From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Subject: Re: Seagate 3TB hard drive class action lawsuits
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 10:29:37 -0400
In article <ot4ng7$bnm$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> |  I don't know about the 3TB ones but my 1TB Barracuda is going still
> | stable after 3 years
>
>    I remember reading, awhile back, about a group
> of drives where only particular sizes were bad. I
> don't remember whether that was Seagate.

the 1.5tb and 3tb seagates were *awful*.

<https://www.backblaze.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/blog-fail-...
ves-manufactureX.jpg>

>    This week I'm repairing a laptop for a friend.
> The WD Blue disk drive died after only 3 years. The
> WD diagnotic software says, "Too many errors to
> continue. Replace the drive."

it has a lot of bad blocks.

> A lemon? A mistreated
> drive? Maybe a Windows program that never stopped
> accessing the disk? The last possibility I can probably
> plan for when I set up the new system. But lemons?
> Unfortunately, those are usually only known when it's
> too late, if even then.

stop guessing. what does smart say?

> | My main drive is a class 5
> | Intel SSD, with win 10 my ssytem boots in less than 20 secs! (Hope I'm
> | not opening a can of worms, though).
>
>   I'm also using SSD for main drive and disk drive
> for secondary, with redundant storage. The SSDs
> are quick, but reported to often go without
> warning when they do go.

hard drives can also fail without warning.

the difference is that if an ssd fails, it often fails to read-only,
whereas a drive failure is usually not usable anymore, or at best, some
files corrupted.

ssds are also *much* more reliable.

not that it matters, because with proper backups, the interruption is
minor, no matter what type of device.