From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: OT, kinda, video
Full headers:
From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 10:35:09 -0400
References: <hpd7vclk1jmbncg5bc1iln0t51oueajg85@4ax.com> <271020171851477392%nospam@nospam.invalid> <6hs7vc581t86gj8v8g412fihnd5m54losm@4ax.com> <271020172318287476%nospam@nospam.invalid> <0001HW.1FA4302200474A8670000B2DD2CF@news.giganews.com> <ot3gim12qfi@news4.newsguy.com> <fijavchjqhi5dnql9vkon1bipnepdkpmvc@4ax.com> <291020170048574037%nospam@nospam.invalid> <n5pavctau1j8hshfqmoa4g3h4c9ju4i2vj@4ax.com> <291020170921140946%nospam@nospam.invalid>
On Sun, 29 Oct 2017 09:21:14 -0400, nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>> >now i do, but not when he initially said 'a giant wall is about to
>> >descend'.
>> >
>> >not everyone plays rugby and knows what the terminology is.
>>
>> It's not rugby terminology.
>
>he said the game is rugby.
>
>if it's not rugby terminology, then how can anyone expect to know what
>was meant.

Most people could make the connection based on other metaphorical uses
of "wall".  It's commonly done thing, and lack of exposure to sports
has nothing to do with it.

To me, it's like a _New Yorker_ magazine cartoon that I don't get
because it's a reference to something only a Manhatteanite would get.
If I don't get it, I let it pass.  That's what you should have done.

>> I even gave you a 1929/1930s American
>> football reference ("The Fordham Wall Still Stands") that you snipped.
>> It's just a word that can be used in any context to describe a mass of
>> opposition.
>
>i have *zero* interest in football and not up on the terminology, nor
>do i care, whether it's modern or from 90 years ago.
>
>it's an incredibly stupid and boring game, one which causes brain
>damage in the players,

That's a perfectly valid opinion that is shared by many.  While I
respect the right of others to take that position, I don't agree with
it.  In fact, I will be attending a (American) football game this
afternoon watching one grandson in a (Pop Warner) division
championship game.  He's #41 in this photo:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Footbal-2017-Anton-2/i-PnTJ2gn/0/e87a8ff2...

While I'm aware of the injury potential, I'd rather see the two
grandsons engaged in sports and not chained (metaphorical usage,
there) to the television or game console as so many of their age are.

I'll be happier when their baseball season starts.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida