From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Subject: Re: Seagate 3TB hard drive class action lawsuits
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 11:12:37 -0400
In article <ot4q12$ff1$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | stop guessing. what does smart say?
> |

>    I'm not guessing.

no?

what do you call this?

In article <ot4ng7$bnm$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>    This week I'm repairing a laptop for a friend.
> The WD Blue disk drive died after only 3 years. The
> WD diagnotic software says, "Too many errors to
> continue. Replace the drive." A lemon? A mistreated
> drive? Maybe a Windows program that never stopped
> accessing the disk? The last possibility I can probably
> plan for when I set up the new system. But lemons?
> Unfortunately, those are usually only known when it's
> too late, if even then.

you gave three potential reasons, while missing the obvious one, that a
3 year old drive simply has worn out.

that's clearly guessing.

>    SMART says okey dokey.

bullshit.

if it did, the wd diagnostic tool would not say 'too many errors'.

you probably did the quickie test (or don't know how to even read
smart). try the full test, which will take several hours.

> The WD diagnostic tool says bad disk. As
> far as I can tell, SMART is not a terribly
> useful development.

smart is much better than a dumbed down wd diagnostic tool and will
tell you all sorts of things, including what type of errors and what
'too many' really means.

in some cases, it's possible to salvage the drive, although since
drives are cheap, it's not really worth it other than to use for a
spare.

replace that drive with an ssd and put some life into that aging laptop.

>   To clarify: The disk was made by WD. I ran
> low-level diagnostics with their own tool.
> If there's a more dependable test than that
> I don't know what it is.

it's called smart.

which you clearly are not.