From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Subject: Re: A lightroom question
Full headers:
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 09:12:02 -0700
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: alt.photography, rec.photo.digital
On Oct 29, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article<ot4s9n02t0d@news6.newsguy.com>):

> On 10/28/2017 11:26 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> > On Oct 26, 2017, Savageduck wrote
> > (in article<0001HW.1FA22B1B034B2B927000073692CF@news.giganews.com>):
> >
> > > On Oct 26, 2017, PeterN wrote
> > > (in article<ossodb0278v@news3.newsguy.com>):

> > > That is correct. However, you shouldn’t have an LR JPEG copy anyway, you
> > > don’t need it. Unless you are using Instagram.
> > >
> > > Also, if you have made additional edits using PS as an external editor for
> > > LR
> > > you should remember to not merge, or flatten layers or use “Save as”.
> > > When you have reached the point you wish to return the work to LR just
> > > “Save”. That way the PS layers are retained in LR, and that layered
> > > copy
> > > can be exported in as any file type you choose in the Export dialog. The LR
> > > Export function will take care of any conversion to JPEG you don’t have
> > > do that in PS with a “Save as”. I don’t usually have JPEGs in LR. If
> > > want to do further LR adustments before export I just make a Virtual copy
> > > of
> > > the returned PS edited file and edit that.
> > >
> > > So, if your NEF in LR has been made into a Virtual Copy for LR adustment,
> > > and
> > > then sent to PS for advanced edits after those LR adjustments are made. All
> > > you do is complete your PS work without conversion to JPEG in PS and
> > > “Save
> > > as” just “Save”. Now if it doesn’t matter what the exported file
> > > is,
> > > you do not have the JPEG in LR, it only exists in the export location, and
> > > that might be in Dropbox, or Adobe CC, or wherever.
> > >
> > > If you need to adjust the exported file regardless of type you have options
> > > to make minor adjustments in LR to the file you exported, and then
> > > re-export
> > > to overwrite the file at the export location, or you can go to the file
> > > that
> > > has been returned to LR and return it to PS by choosing “Edit in PS”
> > > and
> > > in the option dialog select “Edit Original”. That way it will open in
> > > PS
> > > with all the layers intact, ready for you to do whatever evil you care to.
> > > “Save” once again, and the adjustments will show in the LR version
> > > which
> > > is now ready to re-export to overwrite whatever is in the export location.
> > >
> > > ...and you still have no JPEG in LR, just the export location.
> >
> > Have you been able to follow any of what I have detailed, regarding
> > re-editing both PS and/or LR exported files?
> >
> > If so, has it helped provide enough guidance to answer your question?
> >
> > I was just wondering about that.
>
> Thank you. All of it.

Great! I know that not everybody uses LR + PS the same way. It is just that I
have found the method I have detailed above, the one which works best for me,
and I hoped that you would find it useful. Perhaps even find a way to work it
into your workflow.

I have a confession, ever since I started shooting RAW+JPEG to get my SOOC
Fujifilm JPEGs, I have some JPEGs in LR. However they are not the result of
processing and/or editing RAW files.

--

Regards,
Savageduck