From: Tim Watts <tw_usenet@dionic.net>
Subject: Re: Lightroom CC
Full headers:
From: Tim Watts <tw_usenet@dionic.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 17:07:26 +0000
On 29/10/17 13:21, nospam wrote:
> In article<3dngce-gr5.ln1@squidward.local.dionic.net>, Tim Watts
><tw_usenet@dionic.net> wrote:
>
>> On a tangent, but under the same topic:
>>
>> I just had a very quick play with Lightroom Web.
>>
>> It's looking rather promising. I imported some photos (jpg and Lumix RAW).
>>
>> I'm stuck in how to get a 1:1 preview to check focus, but other aspects
>> are looking good. Being able to basically organise stuff and have
>> instant access via the web and LR Mobile is cool.
>>
>> The editing facilities are pretty cool for a web app too.
>
> they're even better in the native app.
>
>> This is from someone who uses Linux and does not have the facilities to
>> run LR Classic well
>
> then it's time to upgrade to a desktop operating system so you can use
> state of the art software, not just lightroom.

Problem: I use Linux for my work. I have no other desktop or laptop.

>> (Windows on a VM is painful).
>
> anything windows is painful, but not because its running in a vm.
>
> what are you using for a vm?

Linux.

>> My only concerns (apart from not being able to find out how to do a 1:1)
>> are:
>>
>> 1) The import is a bit vague - can I be sure it got all of them?
>
> the import is not vague.

It's a little unclear to me.

>> 2) Colour tuning the screen... Linux is not great at colour management
>> anyway and now we have a browser in the way too. So how faithful is the
>> colour rendering?
>
> it's as faithful as your colour management.
>
> if you can't calibrate it, then it's not faithful at all.
>
> the browser is not in the way, since it uses the colour calibration
> information.
>
>> Do we need to go to an iPad Pro to really review stuff?
>
> no. lightroom runs on mac and windows, along with a lot more that is
> unavailable for linux.
>
> linux is fine for servers, but for desktop use, it's a disaster.

Actually, it's very solid. Where it falls down is precisely this task -
but only this task, for me.

However, for my workflow at the moment, it's looking like LR Web+Mobile
are actually very good.

When it comes to retouching, I might consider a dedicated native
solution with a Mac in it, but I can't justify that right now (I could
just about justify an iPad for other reasons).