From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Subject: Re: A lightroom question
Full headers:
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 12:17:20 -0700
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: alt.photography, rec.photo.digital
On Oct 29, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article<ot56fi0g5@news6.newsguy.com>):

> On 10/29/2017 12:12 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> > On Oct 29, 2017, PeterN wrote
> > (in article<ot4s9n02t0d@news6.newsguy.com>):
> >
> > > On 10/28/2017 11:26 PM, Savageduck wrote:

<<Snipped understood stuff>>

> > > Thank you. All of it.
> >
> > Great! I know that not everybody uses LR + PS the same way. It is just that
> > I have found the method I have detailed above, the one which works best for
> > me, and I hoped that you would find it useful. Perhaps even find a way to work
> > it into your workflow.
> >
> > I have a confession, ever since I started shooting RAW+JPEG to get my SOOC
> > Fujifilm JPEGs, I have some JPEGs in LR. However they are not the result of
> > processing and/or editing RAW files.
>
> I would think that in most cases, editing a JPEG file in LR should not
> make any difference, because you are only changing the instructions, not
> working on the file itself. No matter how many times you edit the file,
> there will only be one change,and that will be when you save it.
> each additional edit will be on another copy of the file.
>
> <https://havecamerawilltravel.com/lightroom/jpgs-lightroom/>

Damn! That is one badly designed web site. However, he has some valid
information.

Just to clarify things, if you are going to isolate JPEG editing to LR then
you will have a true non-destructive workflow, especially if you only edit LR
Virtual copies, but once you leave the LR environment all bets are off. An
exported file converted to JPEG, or from an LR edited JPEG original which has
been resized and subject to compression is undoubtably lossy. That is one
reason to follow the method I detailed for re-editing exported files JPEG, or
RAW/TIFF/PSD.

So, LR, or RAW, always start on a LR Virtual copy.

--

Regards,
Savageduck