From: newshound <newshound@stevejqr.plus.com>
Subject: Re: Weird Picasa bug (only affects Lexmark printers?)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: newshound <newshound@stevejqr.plus.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 20:15:21 +0000
On 27/10/2017 21:39, Bill W wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 21:11:06 +0100, newshound
><newshound@stevejqr.plus.com> wrote:
>
>> On 27/10/2017 16:23, nospam wrote:

>>> that suggests word is the problem in how it's placing/sizing the jpeg,
>>> not the exported jpeg itself.
>>
>> But it is *only* exported files that have the problem, and *only* on the
>> Lexmark. They print fine from other apps (including picasa) so I agree
>> that Word is probably involved in some way. But Word versions 15 years
>> apart behave the same way.
>>

>>> what does the jpg show for resolution?
>>> what happens if you use another word processing or page layout app?

>>> that doesn't mean it's a bug in picasa.
>>>
>>> if the jpeg from picasa is valid, then it's word and/or lexmark.
>>
>> But they behave fine with picasa files that havn't been compressed by
>> Picasa export. So I think there is something wrong in the file header
>> which either the Word print engine or the Lexmark is getting confused about.
>>
>> And the fact that just importing the file into Paint and saving it again
>> clears the fault points to something in the JPEG.
>>

>>> how did you validate the jpeg? or did you?
>>
>> I don't know how to.
>
> The printer dialogue should be specific to the Lexmark, and there is
> probably a setting in there that you are overlooking. If you see the
> same printer dialogue for all your printers, you need to find the
> correct drivers for the Lexmark and install them.

Drivers was the first think I looked at. I'm just printing a word file.
The print preview is fine. The lexmark output fails, other printers are OK.

> Another option might be to resize the jpg and save to a new file
> before printing.

That's what I am doing. I was using Picasa to do the resize because
that's what I use for cropping and straightening (and maybe occasionally
a tweak on fill, contrast, or colour). My point is that the resized
picasa file fails to print *to one specific printer* when put into the
word document. But if I import the file into paint and re-save it before
the insert then everything is fine.