From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Subject: Re: A lightroom question
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 15:21:07 -0700
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: alt.photography, rec.photo.digital
On Oct 29, 2017, Mayayana wrote
(in article <ot5giq$1mtk$1@gioia.aioe.org>):

> "PeterN"<"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>  wrote
>
> > I would think that in most cases, editing a JPEG file in LR should not
> > make any difference, because you are only changing the instructions, not
> > working on the file itself. No matter how many times you edit the file,
> > there will only be one change,and that will be when you save it.
> > each additional edit will be on another copy of the file.
> >
> > <https://havecamerawilltravel.com/lightroom/jpgs-lightroom/>
>
> He's a bit evasive, focussing on how you can make edits and save them as memory in LR. What
> you say matches his description. That's fine, but if you edit a JPG you eventually have to save it
again
> and that's going to degrade it. No way around that. "Only one change" is one change too many if it
wasn't
> necessary. If you work with them in LR as TIFs and never deal with JPG except to save for
> some target that requires JPG, isn't that the best option?

Do you use anything Adobe?

The first thing is to understand how LR works. If you are working with JPEG
original files in LR all adjustments/edits are not applied directly to the
original, but to XMP sidecar files. The JPEG is not altered. The first thing
most sensible LR users will do is create a virtual copy and make all edits
and adjustments to that. There is no reason to save an adjusted file back to
LR as a JPEG, so there is no saving it again to degrade the file regardless
of whether or not you are editing a JPEG or a RAW file. If you need an
edited/adjusted JPEG for sharing, or some other purpose you can get it via
the LR export dialog. If it interests you at all, I suggest you read some of
the other information in this thread.

> In other words, why not RAW ->  TIF and then only save to JPG if you have to for the sake of size
> or recipient limitations?

There is no need to save to JPEG. When I had a RAW only workflow all LR edits
were made to an LR Virtual copy of the RAW file. If I needed to use a
process, or technique not available to LR I use either PS, or another plug-in
as an external editor. The result is returned with adjustments to LR as a
TIFF, or a PSD. If I need to share that image I export to email, sharing
service, or cloud service, and all resizing and JPEG compression is done via
the LR export dialog, with the JPEG created in the export location. The
compressed, resized JPEG never goes back to LR.

Since I started shooting RAW+JPEG so that I could take advantage of the very
good Fujifilm SOOC JPEGS with their film emulations I have RAW files paired
with a JPEG original. If I need to adjust one of those JPEG originals, that
adjustment is made to an LR Virtual copy. There is never and
adjusted/compressed JPEG to be found in my copy of LR. If I need to send the
LR adjusted virtual copy of the JPEG to PS or another external editor, it
edits a copy of the copy with LR adjustments. When the external editor is
done a “Save as” is not used, just a “Save” or an “Apply” to
retun a TIFF or PSD to LR. Again, if I need a resized JPEG to share, I go to
the LR export dialog, so there is never a resized JPEG in my LR.

> JPG shouldn't be thought of as a storage format. It's only used for photos
> because it's universal and most people don't edit. It's *not* used because it's an appropriate
format.

--

Regards,
Savageduck