From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Subject: Re: Inca Trail and Battery Charging
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 23:36:14 -0400
In article<xn0kwtpk6fning000@news.virginmedia.com>, MC<any@any.any>
wrote:

> > > The other suggestion I made is that we resurrect one of our many
> > > old P&S film cameras and that they take a bunch of film.
> >
> > then they'd have to carry a shitload of film and deal with it being
> > nuked at the airports.
>
> Not with those lead lined (or whatever they were) anti-nuke film bags.
> I used to have three or four of them.

<https://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/Support/Technical_Information/Tra...
ortation/Do_X_Rays_Harm_My_Film/default.htm>
  The once popular lead-lined carry bags aren't practical today because
  if an inspector can't see through the bag, he will increase the
  intensity of the x-ray until he can. Therefore, film may receive more
  harmful radiation than it would otherwise if it were normally
  inspected.

the tsa will normally require that the film be removed from such a bag
and put through the x-ray unprotected.

you can ask for a hand inspection, but they don't have to oblige and
can confiscate the film (or anything else) for any reason they want,
'out of an abundance of caution.'

meanwhile, memory cards can hold many thousands of photos and
unaffected by x-rays.